Sunday 20 August 2006

26 years to pension...

Yesterday, my makcik threw me a goodbye party… She cooked from home and all of it delicious. BUT, because I had to send my parents’ amah home, I was late coming to the hospital. Some had eaten already (I told them to eat first as I knew I would be late) but others waited for me or sat around me while I ate up.

Soon after, we had a chat… as always, our conversation is interesting... that day... our conversation led to PENSION - when. what do we do. Plans and such...

A friend of mine joined the army after working in Health for a while. In the army, after working for 15-20 years, you can retire and may get half or full pension respectively. so.. if this friend is to quit after 15 years of working... that would mean another 8 years for him.

We started work in the same year... and he is retiring before me!!! and getting paid as well!!! As for me, I have to wait for another 26 years before i retire!!! How fair is that???

SIGH... it really is depressing to think about all these...

As we continued the conversation, this friend continued to talk about what he may plan to do after he retires... He wasn't sure if he would... but if he is no longer required... he was thinking of doing something else... lucrative is THE word in his mind!

If i have the same choice, i probably would do the same thing. Then... the conversation moved quiet nicely into marriage....

He said, that is why girls have to find someone RICH that can support us even if we are not working... He suggested that i try my luck in Malaysia (as the songstress of Malaysia did find her trophy rich man...) But i told him... THAT type of behaviour turns me off...

I not necessarily want a rich man... I want a man that i can talk to about things... one that do things with me... like housework... sigh.. why am i talking about this..

anyways... I was thinking... I still have 26 long years to work as a government servant... What am i to do? Its not like i do not like working... its just that its another 26 years of SHIT and most of them would be MAJOR shit.... can i survive that???

If i have the same option, i would gladly retire (as it is now.. i feel i should retire :P) What would i do... I dunno... maybe work but do something that makes me happy and not get CRAP and SHIT out of it... and that i have a choice to stay or not... sigh....

Anyone else have thoughts about retiring? and what you would do if and when you retire?

2 comments:

FR said...

heya Kak... you know too well that I can NOT wait to retire... everytime I tell someone that, they laugh right to my face.. I dont know why!!! sheesh.. its a legit dream.. I want to retire!!!

anyway, when I retire.. I plan to goyang kaki and enjoy it day by day! but is that going to happen? God knows!!! I have yet at least 10 years of major shit (as u put it) of working years...

Anyway... 26 years.. I am SHURE u can survive it... insya Allah!!!

Love you lots!!!

Anonymous said...

I worked for the Government for 10 years before I resigned. My family was devastated when they heard about my resignation.

Why did I resign? I felt my career was going nowhere, it was no longer challenging.

Later, I relocated to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and job-hopping from one to another. I thought it would harm my CV, however, my career was getting better and better.

I ended myself as a director of public listed companies in Kuala Lumpur.

Now, I've recovered my "lost" pension in Brunei and probably I'll retire early (before the age of 50).

I wouldn't have a 5-digit income if I didn't make the first move. Thanks to Allah, I may return to Brunei sooner than I thought and bring along my experience with me.

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...