Thursday 22 November 2007

locked in the toilet

I told my patients that i would not be taking any leave end of this year... hence, attendance to the clinic has been super good! I am always full.... justt enough to clear my table before the next patient walks in... sometimes.... i dont even have time for that.... the patients are already knockinng on the door.... but.. it has been good.

This afternoon, i had an autistic patient comin to the clinic. We were going to work on language, particularly counting and more vocabulary in sentences. He wasn't in a good mood for the past couple of weeks, and had to do therapy outside therapy room. He hides behind mummy's back just to avoid me.

I was clever today.... Since KB had much changed... i brouht him for a walk around the hospital.. counting.. holding hands... and looking around... we still achieve my goals, but executed differently. I somehow managed to get him into my therapy room and started to do work.

Then,... "I need to go toilet" he said... and so we ran to the public toilet. I supervised from outside... giving verbal instructions. "Sit on the toilet", "Are you done?" "Flush the toilet" then comes.. "Open the door"... and.... pull.... pulll.... pull.... and then... scream.... the door wouldn't budge...

"SHHHHHH. Calm down. Listen. Sit and wait" (he is not ood at waiting... post 5 seconds, he is up again!) he locked the door from inside and didn't know how to unlock it.

i had to quickly run to the next bunch of men... and asked them to help me open the door from inside. The boy... was already screaming. making him understand help is on the way is not easy. I have to keep my voice up just so he can hear me above his screams... then.. "Shhhhh. I'm coming. Lets count. 1 2 3..."

Needless to say, the door opened... and he rushed out. I was gonna hug him because he ot me worried... but he had not washed his hands... so that was first. "wash your hands" and "say thank you" then we walked off.

I finally gave him the hug in the clinic... and we talked a bit about how he felt. I had plenty of words...

I told the mum what happened... Mummy smiled. She said... He's locked h imself iin the car once. But he was able to follow instructions as the windows was clear. Mum understood that he is unable to follow instructions! Thank god!!

Anyways... Next time any of my kids wants to go to the toilet, we run like the wind... but doors are AJAR!!!

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...