Sunday 11 November 2007

Translation

A lot of people think translation work is easy if you are fluent in the languages you are translating! WRONG!!! Its a lot harder and complex than just translating.... especially when you are translating into a more formal language than the normal 'slang' we use everyday.

I find using proper Bahasa Melayu everyday a challenge. What more using Bahasa Brunei. and when i have to write reports in Bahasa Melayu, i cringe and always ask if we get the alternative of writting it in English instead.... Its not that i am not fluent in Bahasa Melayu.. i think my skills are acceptable, and my standard malay is pretty impressive... however, using Bahasa Melayu in a formal, business setting is different from speaking it.

Often, words you rarely use when you speak are needed when you write to express yourself eloquently and politely. Often, my boss would say... "Your Bahasa Melayu is horrible" or just laugh it off and asks me to re-write it again.... She often would also give guidelines... and words she thinks is important to be used. Yesterday, we had our routine monthly staff meeting. I handed her a letter i wrote in Bahasa Melayu and she said my usage had improved. I smiled. It was a lot of effort :P

I just finished translating and reading through passages that needed to be done for a book i am collaborating in. It felt like my head had split into millions of pieces... i can't feel my head... everywhere i press.. i feel pain... i don't even know if the sentences made sense or not!!! But i hope it does, because i can't do it any more... I had been doing this since early this week... and its a torment... i cannot live with a pounding head! simply cannot.... its not negotiable!!!

With that done, i have several other pieces of work that needed me using Bahasa Melayu... Thank god i had sense to purchase DWIBAHASA kamus early on in my professional life!!! But today, tonight... I'll stop here and take a break... start again on Tuesday!

1 comment:

FR said...

i look forward to start writing in formal malay!!! Muahaha!!!

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...