Monday 7 January 2008

New year's resolution

What is one thing that people always talk about at the change of the new year? Without fail, they like to talk and ask you about it... read the title... "What's your new year's resolution?", "Did you keep your resolution last year?", "Are you changing your resolution this year?"... and more...

I heard it on the radio... I read it on blogs.. I read it in facebook and friendster.. I was also asked several times... and what is my answer? I do not believe in making new year's resolution.

I used to make one (or several, as it was), as i was growing up. I used to make up and change things until a few years ago, when i realised that its futile... Why? because
  • you don't keep it.
  • you struggle to keep the not important resolution.
  • you wonder how you can keep it.
  • you worry about what would be a good resolution this year, because you want to be original.
Instead, i make little oaths to myself. Something achievable anything through out the year. And i give myself a time frame to complete it. An example would be,... I have a temper. Its bad and short and explosive. When i was much younger, it was much much worst! I remembered in Uni, when i was really mad, i used to slammed the door. It freaked my house mates... and i realised that it was a bad thing to have an uncontrolled temper, that controlled you...

It must have been October-November 1996, i made myself a promise that i would control my temper... and i had a plan how i was gonna go about it.... and i managed it... my temper is much better, but i won't boast how great it is..

I have not made any new year's resolution for a long time. the same will happen this year. However, i had plans on how to improve myself ot my work... i'll share if its achieved...

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...