Monday 9 July 2007

STPRI Reunion

I paid $30 to get my ticket to the reunion, and I thought it would be
a reunion. Obviously, the committee members are yet to understand the
word "reunion" as they seem to have different ideas of what this means
and signify.

I thought I would have time to mingle, chat, exchange stories,
reminisce old times with other friends or just known faces from the
years I was in school... but instead, we sat down, and looked at the
stage, not knowing what is happening, just like I was a student again.
In that sense, I have never left school!!!

I was under the impression that there would be more video shows,
slides and footage, not only from the 1960's but also across the years
of the golden jubilee... I was gravely mistaken. The show started
well, with a little song and play from the oldest batch to the current
students of STPRI. But too much of the same things get old FAST.

What saddens me even more is that, 'normal' ex-students of the school,
the ones without the "D's" in front of their names were not asked how
they envisaged the reunion to be or what they would like to contribute
to the reunion. What D's you ask... isn't that obvious... the Datins,
Datin Padukas, Drs, Directors and more...

I mean, just because we are not in the same ELITE group as they are,
WE, the other EX-STPRI girls do contribute to the nation's development
and growth. I mean, we should at least have a role to play in our own
reunion... NOTHING! We just sat and enjoy, a not so joyous play
executed (not by any of the other students BUT the current
students)...

The idea may be there... and effort were seen, however, I fail to
understand why it was all song and dance and play... where were the
mingling – the true essence of a reunion! I didn't even had the chance
to mingle with my mum's and aunts' friends... like see who their
friends are... what they had been up to and more... THAT would have
been an even more exciting reunion, than the dull show they exhibited.

Another issue that was raised by the others was "where did the money
go?" The decoration was kept to a minimum... food was at most $7 per
head. We had a gift bag with a program book (with no pictures of the
classes we attended except for organizer!) We had two square biscuits
each and a yassin. We also each had a golden jubilee mug.

None of my own classmates attended the function. I was the only one
representing class of 2A-5A (1990-1993). There was, however, another
lady that was in the same class as me in Form 1B (1989) – we chatted
briefly!

I felt I had wasted my afternoon... more so, I wasted $30 that could
have been spent on my petrol. I wasn't a happy bird, but the feeling
I gather, so were the others... Perhaps the right 'people' could have
looked into it...

PS: If it was up to me, I probably would set up alumni... and perhaps,
alumni that meet up once a year, or that could be 'motivational'
speakers to future generation of Brunei. We could have also set up an
alumni blog that can exchange gifts or cards or memories... or.. the
alumni could set up a cooperation business like (PGGMB) and many
more... sigh... this is the voice of a disappointed ex-student

PPS: I didn't even get to see or even meet any of my previous
teachers... How do I get in touch with them and say THANK YOU... how
do I say, I APPRECIATED YOUR HELP... how do I finally say "I
UNDERSTAND and Thank you for staying by us!" how do I even tell
them... look, I turned out GOOD, and you helped shape that! You made a
difference and you mattered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Although i sat with my batch of friends but we didn't manage to catch up with all of them properly.

Luckily we had a photo session done earlier but not all were there!!

Padian said...

yeah... it was a 'sad' reunion.... i am not looking forward to future get togethers...

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...