Monday 27 August 2007

Playing games

I remembered being exposed to board games in high school, where everyone was encouraged to join a club and do something they liked – part of being involved in indoor games. You would think it would be something easy for me to do as I wasn’t much of an outdoorsy kind of person, but it wasn’t. I wasn’t much into sports generally.

I remembered my class teacher, whom also happened to be my English teacher, Miss Townsend, was concerned. She was wondering why I wasn’t involved much and why I was finding that particular task difficult. I explained to her that I wasn’t much of a sporty kind of person, and I wasn’t exposed much to board games either, having family members not playing this activity as a family unit.

She first introduced me to chess – I obviously did not know what each pieces were... she taught me. I played well for the remaining of that year. She also taught me black gammon but sadly I have forgotten most of it, like I did chess, not that I played it particularly spectacular!

A couple of other friends introduced me to games such as monopoly, scrabbles and more. I loved it. As it happens, I was also in my team’s track team, doing relay 1500m I think. I can’t remember... we won 3rd place. That was really nice. I also did tug of war, volleyball and amazingly enough, basketball. But I never enjoyed the later... always not knowing what I was supposed to do.... and I was playing defense... was it wing??? Sigh... I can’t remember, as I always dreaded PE classes, preferring if it was replaced by math or Ugama or science or home science... anything really as long as I do not have to do that!

I was in a swimming team in my younger days, but I quit prematurely, opting to concentrate more on my studies. I never regretted it, but somehow, I always wondered what I could have been if I had not... Nothing dazzling I know, but I would have probably built up my stamina, and increase the love of sports.

Anyhow, in University, I mostly did walking to release any elements of anger, dissatisfaction, or frustrations. I also did running – some squash (towards the end), badminton (earlier on), swimming (through out) and hill climbing. A few of my flatmates introduced me to other types of games such as Mah-jong, Rumikub, monopoly and more. It was exciting. I loved every minute of it.

I stopped carrying out physical games since returning to Brunei. I don’t know... I suppose the environment wasn’t conducive enough to carry them out. I used to do them to release endorphins, however, I drive now, to have the same effect!

A few years back, I hung around a group of people, and we played games as well... like the above. Mostly scrabbles. I loved it. However, we played another game called taboo and that was marvellous. I loved that too...

The group has dissipated... and hence, playing partners for board games had decreased. I was left to be on my own to read and surf, until recently...

One of my cousins discovered a computer game and introduced it to me in one of the family outings at her place (Often it involves around food). It appears that I was the only person whom did not know the game existed, and when I went back to my own haven, I realised I had it in my laptop and played like mad... I did not sleep for 24 hours trying to solve it and aced it. It was time well spent!

Since then, I have been trying to download more computer games, however, being new to Mac... and her games. It was kind of tricky for me to play them. I found a couple that I loved.... however, I am not sure I can download the whole thing without purchasing it beforehand.

Just last night, we had another crazy time... we played a computer game till late night... We played as a group. Initially there were 8 of us. It was reduced to 2... and it stopped about 4 am in the morning from 8 pm the day before. It was crazy.. I wasn’t any one of them... I was in and out of sleep at 3 am.

Many parents believe playing games is a waste of time.. and that children should focus more of their education. However, they fail to see and remember that through game, children learn a lot more. Good games are out there... you just have to choose the appropriate ones.

Playing games as a family unit unifies the family. It brings them closer together... it also allows the parents to give their children a break and actually have fun and spend good quality time together. Depending on the game you are playing... you increase experiences in life, you build up your vocabulary, build team spirit and good working conditions in a group and more...

Next time someone said you shouldn’t play games... You tell them... I know the difference... and I know what is good for me (Know your boundaries!) “I play hard and study smart!” – courtesy of Mr Saxson, Chemistry teacher in Maktab Duli, ‘A-Levels (1994-5)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

yyTNco The best blog you have!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

CjOyeH write more, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

Anonymous said...

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Anonymous said...

Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...