Monday 11 December 2006

Tutong today...

was working in Tutong today. Had a full day. It started badly... I really should shift my 8 o'clock to 9 o'clock... like have fun first thing in the morn before going into something more stressful and frustrating! Anyways...

I had been referred this lady again.. The last time I saw her was in April this year. She was referred for a swallowing assessment and management. Since April, she had been admitted 6 time for the same complaints... and the funny thing is, she did not appeared to have any feeding problems whilst admited... and because of this feeding problem, she has lost more than 50% of her body weight.. She is literally bones and skin!! I was really scared for her...

What I did was, wrote a comprehensive report to the doctor, dietitian and the clinical sychologist. I even recommended for an alternative method of feeding her if she continues to lose weight... Reason why I refered her to the clinical psychologist is that i feel that she wants to be admitted... for attention... (BUT SHE DOES HAVE SWALLOWING PROBLEMS, BUT NOTHING THAT SHOULD STOP HER FROM EATING AND DRINKING NORMALLY WITH THE PROPER TECHNIQUES)

Some of us, especially the young ones, we try to go on a diet... we even stop eating and drinking properly... some even invent ridiculous ways of losing weight like no carbs, or protein or worst, just soup diet or liquid diets for prolonged periods... but they forget, when you reach a certain age, or when or if you suffer from something that causes you to have swallowing problems,... you really won't be able to eat what you like to... most of the people i have seen, are not able to eat simple foods we take for granted, like biscuits... or apples... because its too flakey and hard... so you see,.. while you can and is able to eat... and chew... and is healthy and is able to eat and drink well... I suggest we eat... and not starve ourself silly just because we feel the need to conform... wise up!!

on a lighter note, as i was waiting for me lunch date to appear and pick me up,.. i was sitting in the front porch of the hospital.. laid out with several chairs.. opposite me were two boys, assuming brothers because they have the same top... wearing kain sarong... they had just undergone the 'bersunat' procedure... (circumsition - its the act of removing the foreskin from the phallus. It is required under islamic laws on boys and girls too... hygiene reasons)

the older boy was calm and was waiting patiently for his ride... the younger boy was in tears... I am assuming from pain.... and the cries got louder as a man (someone they know) approached them...

I smiled... as i looked at them both... they are just few of the many that are undergoing this procedure during this school holiday.... ;)

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...