Friday 19 January 2007

bystander effect...

As usual, its a holiday, and i drive myself back to bandar. I took my sweet time getting ready for the trip, like the normal clean the house routine first.. get my dirty laundry,... pack my things for tutong on monday and more... sigh... its tiring living like this.. anyways.. i was driving myself down by 2 pm.

As i was driving (taking my sweet time - only driving like 80-100 km/hr) i reached the beginning of the brunei-muara and tutong highway. leaving telisai, i entered the highway and i noticed an open fire on the highway, on my left. It was getting bigger, and honestly i think would get out of control and spread soon, because it was windy. the smoke from the fire was already travelling across the spance of the highway.

Anyways, being a good samaritan, i called the emergency line for the fire brigade, wanting to know if anyone had reported it, and guess what... no one had.

I gave my report, left my name and phone number also describing the where and how it is... What tick me off is that the fire had began a good few minutes before i came to the scene and no one reported it... When had the by stander effect started in Brunei?

In my first year of Uni, starting with psychology, we were given few lists of books to read.. and in one of the papers to be read was the by stander effect. It happened long long ago, in america i think... and someone happened to be mugged and murdered (I think) and no one did anything. people were just standing and watching... so that is the by stander effect.

And people believed that it happened in a society wehre people are focusing more on 'me' rather than 'us' or the community... Correct me when i am wrong because it has been 10 years..

so... are we that KIND now??? what's happening to us???

PS: a reminder to self... to write about update on locked-in syndrome, government professionals are unprofessionals, what is wrong with the system (fight with dad)... si awang kawin and unreliable source...

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...