Monday 3 September 2007

bicycle

I was driving home from work, late Saturday afternoon, when I noticed a group of people going home at the same time I was. The only difference is that they were cycling home.

I drove slowly past them. I tried to look at them closely. It was interesting. Some of the workmen had different helmets on for different types of work, example, a hard hat for work and a bicycle helmet for cycling.

Some of the bicycles even had a basket in the front where they kept their extra hat. Others just hung it off one of their bicycle’s handle.

It was even interesting to see that their bicycle is just one of those normal bikes you could get in the bike shop. None of those top class or very expensive ones. The colours are also just very normal, nothing that spells fancy.

I then smiled to myself.... Kuala Belait is different...

You do see some people cycling to work in Bandar... but just a handful. Even the contract workers are driven. You also don’t see cyclist wearing protective helmets like they do in KB... unless they are one of those people who do own the complete cycling gear and is into it as a sport... they are excluded from this observation.

I smiled to myself... I was thinking... Good... Excellent... They are environmentally friendly and is good healthy exercise. Then... I smiled further.... they are different. It feels as if I was looking into cyclists driving up Victoria Road in Edinburgh. I miss home...

1. They are saving energy and also saving the environment by using this activity as part of their routine. They government should give people more incentive to carry this out.
2. It just proves that you do not need a fancy bicycle to get you moving from one point to another, as long as your practice safety! How many of us own expensive bicycles, yet can’t seem to remember the last time you used it, and is sadly collecting dust at the back of the garage?
3. The land transport department also should look into properly documenting or outlining proper and safer options for cyclist should WE want to encourage this activity as part of BRUNEI’s way of saving the environment as well as promoting healthy living. It is also realising the vision of the Minister of Energy, as he recently spoke in his speech, to reduce the usage of unnecessary energy.
4. I wish I can cycle – I have poor balance, and can never seem to be on the bicycle long enough for me to even move properly more than 50 cm. However, with training wheels, I am good *wink*

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...