Saturday 5 March 2005

Klutz!!!

I am normally not so much of a klutz! But sometimes I can be and MORE!!! A friend of mine, we met online (friends since childhood, but went separate ways during Uni!). She informed me back in January 2005 that she is getting married. I wrote down the dates onto my wall calender and left it... Occasionally looking at it... I remembered.. i wrote it in my February: Overview (the plans for March!!!)

After work on Thursday, during one of those weird spontaneous things, I went out with a friend to meet up another friend at this joint. We were happilly chatting and then, the topic of friends getting married propped up!!! I was just sitting and listening when suddenly i yelled "SHIT!" I suddenly remembered my friend's wedding!!! Its on friday!!! i remembered!!!

I realised i didn't know anything... What is the ceremony? What time? Where does she live? Who amongst my other friends are going? Who are invited??? PRESENTS!!!!! I haven't gotten ONE!!!

GROAN.... I called her up immediately... asked her to text me the address.... and asked if she was really gonna get married (LIKE... stupid question Meela!!!) he he he... of course the answer was YES! so i asked the time... 10-10:30am she said... so i said ok.. I'll be there tomorrow....

I was dressed and ready to go... and i arrived at her place at 10:30 on the DOT.... but it was strange.... i was looking around and i realised... there were FEW cars... and Not a lot of people around... even more strange... NO kids running about!!!! strange, strange, strange... i looked at my watch.... it was 10:31 am.... i called my friend... NO answer... i started to panic.... then, i decided to get down and ask if i was at the right place... (THAT'S IT! i thought.... read on...)

As i opened my door and stepped out of the car... I hear people talking in the house... its unclear, but i think they are talking about me!!! sigh.... Wrong house i thought... i move closer... Then... my friend, inappropriately dressed as a bride, in her everyday attired jumped out of the back door!!!

"Why are you not dressed?"... "You are 4 hours early!!!" she said almost simultaneously... i was dumb-struck!!! I retaliated by saying..."You are getting married today right!?" I get really dumb sometimes...

Obviously... I came to the right place... and a wedding was going to take place... just not at that precise moment!!! It was friday and traditionally... people get married 'nikah' after the friday prayers!!! (I completelt forgotten what day it was!!!) What she meant on the phone the other day was, her reception would be on sunday, OBVIOUSLY, at the times mentioned before!!! Right... i said... red in the face.... (People were peering out!!!) I promised to come in the afternoon and left...

As i was driving towards my grandmother's place., it suddenly dawned on me!!! SIGH!!! I did not ask her the time of the nikah ceremony!!! ( I tell you... I rarely go to weddings... and who ever weddings i go to... you are the rare ones!!! I am soooo clueless!!!) I had to call her... laugh... apologised... and ASKED for the times.... she said... 2:30 to 3:30pm Because i was soooo MALU *blush* i didn't press on... "RIGHT! I'll be there! See you later!"

I was more confident in the afternoon... I drove slowly... taking my time... I went alone... didn't know anyone else who was going... (I hate going to weddings alone... Its awkard!!! I only did it once before... for Ali... ARGH... i don't want to do that AGAIN!!! I can CRY!!!) Anyways... I arrived at the same place... looked around... NOT many cars... but i see tents...

I parked.. and get out of the car... started walking towards the house.... Nearing the house... I gave a 'salam'... and people got out to greet me... Friend of the bride i said.... i was shown the way to her room... I honestly thought the wedding ceremony was from 2:30 tp 3:30 pm... Sigh... it actually meant they were recieving guests from 2:30 to 3:30pm....

I was with my friend/bride... looking at her getting her make-up done! and trying to make light of the situation... made friends with her make-up artist as well as her 'mak andam'.... TALKED NON-STOP..... sigh.... i was sooo sad... i was the only friend with her for an hour before some more of her friends turned up!!! (NONE i RECOGNISED!!!)

The ceremony went smoothly... it was really cool :) I met the groom... he was nervous as was my friend... his family members were PLENTY!!! it was an experience... and educational :P

After the 'nikah' was done.. they went to their room to take pictures... I couldn't go with her to her room and stay with her... I could... but I can't!!! OH MY GOD!!!! What am i to do???

I sat silently... looking at what the others we doing... people were going out of the house.... and walking.... i can do that i thought.... BUT... they were going OUT from the FRONT door... i CAME THROUGH THE BACK DOOR!!!!! GROAN!!!!! Will the day never END!!!!!!!!!!

I waited and waited for any of her family members to recognise or realise that i was LOST!!! They didn't.... they thought i was their family member!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!! I sat for about 10-15 minutes what felt like a life-time!!! THEN... someone said... lets go out... and i took the opportunity to let them know my shoes are at the back and didn't know my way... *blush* he he he....

I finally got out... I really wanted to just drive home... but i can't of course.... I had to sit thorough the whole 'meal' alone... ALONE!!!! Its no big deal... but i am uncomfortable in such setting to be alone!!!

As soon as the prayers were said... I LEFT!!!! I went up to the bride's mum... said hi and BYE!!! and ran as fast as i can to my car!!! I never thought the time would come... I told everyone of this tale... and now you... are you entertained from my own klutziness???

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...