Thursday 10 March 2005

Life: an adventure...

I was about to write about my experiences at the workshop regarding my car last night, but I was too tired to even write anything useful or intelligible. I have these ideas I want to jot down and share but something better came along… TOMORROW… TODAY!!!

I was online with my dearest Burt, chatting away and doing silly quizzes together and getting to compare our results… I have not done such silly things for a long while, and it feels good to feel like a kid again :) Anyways, after completing about 5 (I think) quizzes, I decided to call it a night as I had to sleep to wake up early for the drive to Kuala Belait. I was working out of district again :P That was 10 o’clock PM!

I was in bed, trying to sleep, convincing my brain and eyes to comply by reading a book. The next thing you know, my aunt jumped into my room. (Info: I live with my aunt AND I do not lock my bedroom door when I sleep. WHY? I don’t see the reason behind it. People can always knock first before entering, but do all? I have faith that people will eventually learn that POLITENESS Rule.) She was asking and wanting to find out if I was asleep. (The room was fairly dark except for my night light and my back was against the door, so she can’t actually tell.) I responded by lifting my head from the bed and look away from the mesmerizing book…

“Forest fire in Berakas!!! Want to accompany me?” that’s what she said… I can’t just let my aunt who happens to be my house lady and house mate go to the forest reserve all alone in the middle of the night!!! I checked my watch. It was only about 30 minutes past since the last time I checked my watch. “YES!” I said without thinking much, jumped out of bed and dressed… THANK GOD it was dark as I have forgotten to done my headgear… no one can see my ugly, rebellious hair… for that I was thankful!

Before leaving the house, I remembered to grab my camera. Maybe I can take some shots I thought. Hmmm… I wasn’t positive I would be able to get anything as the camera is NOT equipped to take night shots in the forest…. But it was worth a try… (NB: Could not capture the beauty…. The resolution was poor, even with night mode!) As soon as we arrived at the forest, there were LOTS of firemen! I have never noticed… but most of them are very TALL! I feel like a pigmy!!! I felt they could easily trample over me!!! I was intimidated by their size!!! It was interesting as I usually couldn’t care less about someone else’s size in relation to mine!!!

To cut the interesting story short, we stayed on until my aunt was happy with the condition of the forest fire and how it was being handled by her staff with the collaboration of the fire department services (Whom were dedicated and efficient!) While she went into the forest to inspect the damage, I was walking along the slopes, taking in the cool breeze and the natural beauty of the place at night… I just love the sound of water hitting the shore… I love the smell… and I love the calm, serenity and peace of being there… When we left, it was almost 1 AM. Washed my face and hurried back to bed… just a few hours of sleep before I have to wake up… I abandoned the book… and focus onto sleeping… and before you know it… this annoying buzzing sound was IN my ear! I could have screamed as I felt I did not SLEEP/REST enough… slammed the alarm and went back to bed… THANK GOD for snooze button or I would not have gotten out of bed! I realized it was 6:30 am and JUMPED out of bed… hurry in the shower and quickly dressed…. I am going to Kuala Belait and I am picking Wati up at her place. We are going together…

I was out of the house at 7 plus am… driving safely but on the faster side to get to Wati’s place. I was on the highway and I was thinking of getting to work while listening to the radio… I was temporarily confused to get to there the fastest… and in that bummer moment, I took a risk and took the first route… via the fly over at the highway to go Jangsak! BIG BIG mistake I soon realized as I was on the bridge!!! And I was right…. Traffic PLUS PLUS PLUS… I texted Wait to apologized about being late and stuck in traffic!!!

I arrived at Wati’s place about 20 minutes later and is LATE than what I had planned in my dream… I thought of buying time by driving a bit faster on the highway.. NO HOPE!!! There was traffic on our way out of Wait’s place to the highway…. There was school traffic… sigh… talk about BAD LUCK!!! Late as we were… I tried to be optimistic…. I drove safely but fast… and as my car was not feeling herself… she consumed MORE petrol than she EVER did!!! Sigh… I am getting depressed just thinking about it…

I was finally feeling confident that we would arrive in Kuala Belait on time, if not before patients come to grab a bite as I was starving!!!! We were on the highway when we arrived at the Lumut highway… I was speeding as FINALLY there were 2 lanes… but cars were slowing down… and all were signaling to the right. I did not figured it out until I could see what was down the road… At first, I thought it was an unusual place for the police to conduct a road block… but then… why were all the cars making a U-turn in front of the policemen??? It wasn’t a police roadblock… it was a roadblock to enter the highway… The forest along the highway was on fire as it did last night and visibility was low not to mention dangerous!!!

So… we had to take a detour… U-turn and go through Lumut…. I have not been driving along that road for a VERY long time… not since last Hari Raya or since the Lumut highway was opened several years ago!!! As I was driving along I was thinking if I could take the short cut to the end of the highway that was closed as the old road was longer and winding and it would take time off my precious timer… I took another chance and drove all the way… As I arrived at the junction, I realized only too late that the road AGAIN was closed… no excess…. I was beginning to hate the day… I was LATE!!!! And I do hate being SOOOO late!

Another U-turn… back to Anduki to take the OLD ANCIENT road, once the ONLY road to Kuala Belait!!! I have not taken this route for ages!!!! Oh my god… nostalgia!!! Memories… both Wati and I were reminiscing old times… old road trips… happy childhood times… Needless to say… the old road was a single lane… and there were lots of cars and traffic… trying to overtake was not only dangerous but impossible!!! I WAS LATE!!!

I arrived at the hospital almost 30 minutes behind schedule… and patients were waiting… ARGH!!!! It’s going to be tight I remembered thinking… They were impatient to be seen… sigh… groan… we had to keep them waiting for a few more minutes as we both needed the loo and had to prepare the room… (MY stomach was grumbling as it was hungry! And I suspect, so was Wati’s!!!)

EVERYONE that morning had to wait… and I can tell you this… it was not fun to tell parents/patients they have to wait as you were late coming to work, even if it was out of your control…. Felt I have betrayed them…. :( It was a full morning… Everyone came, except one boy… that did not changed the schedule much as the late language morning group had to be split up…

The afternoon session was equally badly BOOKED!!! We were soooo tight with patients that I felt my voice was giving way!!! I was SOOO glad the day was over and was looking forward to the drive home…

I was wondering if everything had been resolved at the highway… I soon found out as I drove to the Lumut highway and seeing it closed again…. Sigh… this time I did not mind so much that I was taking the old road… this time… I wasn’t catching time… I wasn’t rushing… I had time to absorbed the scenery… and did you all know that LUMUT actually has a beach?!!! I mean, I know a friend’s house has a beach at the back... but it never dawned on me that it’s a real beach were we all go as a family and have a picnic kind of beach… thought it was more of a fishing beach… anyways… it was the first and I was kind of excited… maybe I should drive and go there one day… of course with my brats.. That would be interesting *wink*

Anyways… What I wanted to relay with this story was that even if misfortune befalls you, there would always be a silver lining in every grey cloud… ONLY If you take the time to look properly :) and accept conditions you are in… things always looks bright if you are positive… AND just when you think life cannot get anymore exciting and is no longer an adventure… an adventure is just waiting for you beyond the horizon…

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...