Thursday 31 May 2007

Reading using phonics

I studied phonetics in University and it was VERY difficult for me, especially the vowels. Well, transcribing in a foreign language which was uttered quickly was also a big problem. I would be lying if i said i mastered it... but i got better... but still needing HELP!!!

I know literacy skills should be taught to children... teachers (AND PARENTS) play an important role in achieving this. Sadly, some students have been excluded from joining this club. The "kids" not recieving this are often ones needing special attention, learning difficulties and more.

I know there is "special education" in schools, however, should they be lacking in staffs or comprised of unwilling teachers, these 'special kids' are still without the ability to identify words, let alone able to recognize words!!! Where have we failed them?

As I mentioned recently, in Tutong, I had a chat with a friend. And we were exchanging stories on how frustrated we are... Children are unable to get support they should from school... parents are helpless... and we are too, since LITERACY is clearly the role of 'teachers / schools' and have never been equipped to OR is included in the roles as a therapist.

I have, long time ago, revised this role. I mean, if WE don't do it, and clearly schools are uncapable... WHO ELSE???

Anyways, today, i joined the "Bacalah Anakku" course, conducted by the man author himself. He was fun and charismatic. It was easy to learn. (I mean, he was teaching 4 years worth of study in a day - so relatively to me easy... others seem to grasp it very as well! and having a smasing time at that!)

Learning phonics to get children to read is the step forward and SHOULD be used in schools. Not only is it easier, it helps the children to read faster and it is more fun for them that way. I mean, a lot of internation schools in Brunei uses this system for years and is known to be successful! so why is the government schools/ teachers resisting change?

Let me not be the one to advocate this method until you learn to use this... Learn the one in English instead of Malay... Learn the english phonics and see how well you are able to read and say things more fluently and at a faster speed. If you can do it, so can children, whom are willing and capable to absorb more!

As for me, I have used some of this method before, and so,... now i know how to expand and move forward... My children will be stars!!!

No comments:

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...