Monday 28 February 2005

PILLOWS!

The last time i bought pillows was when i was just starting out, as a foreign student in a foreign land! I had nothing with me except for a rice cooker, some instant noodels and some clothes (Of which my aunt thought was inappropriate and demanded we went shopping immediately!)

Needless to say, shopping for the first time with my aunt, was an experience as well as an adventure!!! It left me breathless... and quite frankly, left an unpleasant after taste!! (WE walked 5 miles.. and I carried ALL the shopping bags... i MEAN ALL... winter coat, jacket, jeans, pillows as well as duvets! not to mention the crokery we bought :P ha ha ha... its funny NOW!) It was some time before i start shopping again...

Anyways... the question then was... How do you choose your pillows??? I didn't know then.. and i DON'T know now!!! My existing pillows were the exact ones from my student days! Somehow... Its gone flat and flater as the years had gone by (ITS BEEN 9 YEARS!)... but i still LOVE them... they are just the SOFTEST pillows EVER!!! (its goose feather, grade A!)

I thought it would be better for me to get some new ones to help me sleep better... especially to look after my neck/trunk better... can't get sick all the time now... I dont have the time... nor the effort to keep looking after myself!!! So i decided to go shopping... I decided this since December 2004.... but it was only yesterday, after my trip to the hairdresser, my aunt decided to get some herself that we went and bought a pair for ourselves!!!

I was faced with the dilema of... "which one is the best?" All the pillows (MOST of them) were in plastic bags... How do you determine how nice they are??? And what to choose from?? Cotton? Fibre? feather? Grade A or C? Made in Japan or Germany? Countour pillow??? Hard as opposed to soft pillows??? ARRRGGGHHHH... I was going mad...

As i was certain I am decided... came the question of do you want to get simple pillows that needs dry cleaning... machine wash??? Dust free? Mite free? Bug free? The ones with warranty or not??? SIGH... I never knew it would and could be this stressful!!!

I was looking throught all their selection... I was wondering to myself... How am i going to decide... i looked around... I looked at the sales lady (best not to ask her i thought... she would not give good advice... she'll probably say everything is good!) and i looked at my aunt... i was going to give up when i thought of something!!!

Brilliant idea!!! i was over the moon... Why didn't i thought of that earlier??? I had two test... I am sure its fool-proof!!! First.. its the HUG test... If it is nice to hug... it gives you this nice comfortable feeling... its goes to the second round.... Plump-iness of the pillows IS important.. at least to me it is!!!

Second test... the head test... If it feels good on the head... comfortable... good support and does not swallow my head... it PASSED!!!

After both test had been administered... only two brands of pillows were left... one that costs me about $26, the other $37. Normally i would go for the cheaper version... but since i want my pillows to last another 9 years or more beforei have to go through this ordeal again... i decided on the expensive one...

Last night... I slept with my new pillows.... I HAD one of the best dreams EVER... :) I won't tell you or anyone... Someone told me once... if you tell your dreams to someone... it will not come true :) sigh... I do hope that dream comes true :) thanks to the comfortable pillows... and being surrounded by nice comfortable things around you makes an insomia sufferer SLEEP!

NB: To those that celebrate their birthdays on the 29th February... Many Best wishes :) I don't know any.. but one may be reading this! :P

2 comments:

FR said...

i think i need new pillows too!!! soon i say.. soon.. hehehe...

u cut ur hair? send me pictures =)

Padian said...

i went to the hairdresser to get my hair treated... and get a trim.. nothing exciting... BUT i heard Kak Neza had a very nice cut... SHORT and snazzy! I've not seen her yet... but i plan to go and see people in gadong maybe sometime Sunday... the only time available to me :(

Go get pillows... its exciting!!!

Reminiscing Part 2

Part of reminiscing is you look back on what had  happened in your life, and what a better record of my past than browsing through this blog...